Monday, July 30, 2012

Do I need an MOT?

A Nippi does not require an MOT because it is exempt as it is classed as an Invalid Carriage. But it still needs to be Road Taxed.

The headline says it all really, but it's not quite as simple as that as the DVLA themselves seem to be confused. So if you ring their helpline they might not give you the right answer, as it seems that most people who have done that have received the wrong information and have a few have paid (unnecessarily) to have their Nippi MOT'd

If you receive a V11 renewal reminder you will be unable to renew you vehicle tax on-line or over the phone as both systems are automated and have no provision for coping with a vehicle that does not require an MOT.

Your V11 will have the address of your nearest Post Office (or tax office) where you can renew your vehicle tax printed in the yellow area near the top of the form.

To renew you will need:

Your V11 Reminder
A valid insurance certificate or cover note
Form V112 tax exemption declaration (see more below)
Cash, cheque or debit card (the PO don't take Credit Cards)

About the V112  Declaration of exemption from MoT testing

To download a copy of the V112 you can either go to the DirectGov website entitled "do it online" and find the link to the form there.  The name is a bit misleading, because of course you can't do it online!

The form itself it fairly simple but it's important that you note the categories on page two.  As when you fill in Part 2 (on page 3) you need to write the letter 'E' in the box and sign the declaration opposite.

When you take the form to the Post Office also include page 2 even though it is only an information page.  Why? Because its unlikely that the Post Office where you get your tax has ever seen one before.


If you get stuck please speak Julie at Nippi Vehicles, 01283 520620.  You could   email me, but seeing as I got most my information from her it might be more useful!

Some Common Sense Stuff

Its worth remembering that even without need an MOT, its still important to keep you Nippi in a good roadworthy  condition.

In fact it could be argued that with no MOT test its even more important to make sure that you Nippi is checked and serviced regularly by a competent mechanic for your own safety.

 Its also important to remember that just like every other biker in the UK the Police can pull you over and inspect your Nippi at any time if they suspect your Nippi is not roadworthy under the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Though I got pulled over a couple of weeks ago just because the wanted to have a look, "they had never seen one before" (that does get to be repetitive after a time).

For more about this please see this article from Bikers Advice.


Thanks to Julie at Nippi Vehicles for providing help in getting this article together.  Bikers Advice for their article. And finally, the DVLA for wasting my time for more than two hours yesterday!



Dave 'The Mechanic" has just reminded me that if you have an tax exemption certificate you can also get a free tax disc. However (as I understand it) if you also hire or own a lease car vehicle through Motability then you are better off using it to pay Car Tax.  Some people do find its just easier to pay the £15 then mess about trying to get another exemption certification.

If you have bothered (or succeeded) in getting both a tax exemption certificate and a V112, please let me know and add I will add yet more to this post!



  1. I was told by the dvla that the trippi had to be reg at new for to get a mot exemption

  2. Only the Nippi is exempt when being ridden by a disabled person. The TRIPPI is not MOT Exempt.

  3. Hi there. I have been told by DVLA that as my NIPPI 125 sport is registered as Tricycle, as such it requires an MOT. Now like you, I have spent many hours on the telephone with DVLA, and every time I come up with the same answer. My NIPPI is registered as a Tricycle and needs an MOT when needed (End of September 2016). The also say that as it not registered as an "Invalid Vehicle", it cannot be an MOT exempt vehicle. Do you a definitive answer please?
    Regards from David.

    1. Hi Jacko,

      Sadly this is a long-standing argument with the DVLA. The Nippi is actually both, a scooter and invalid carriage. The confusion has arisen (as far as we know)because during early production of the prototypes many years ago the then DOT agreed that the Nippi whe ridden by a disable person could be considered an invalid carriage, but when ridden by the able is a scooter/tricycle.

      one route worth shot is to get the Nippi registered as "disabled" for tax purposes then get yourself a V112 and go from there.

      But I will ask about and see how others have solve this and get back to you.


      A way round

    2. Hi George. Many thanks for the info. For Tax purposes, we had to pay the Road Tax, which I think was £17.00, as my car is Disabled Tax and it is a Ford Galaxy, so taxing the NIPPI was the cheapest way to do it. I have spoken to DVSO, who monitor the MOT system, and I have been told today (10 August 2016), that if I think the NIPPI is an Invalid Carriage, use the V112 for and put "e" into the appropriate box, and Tax the NIPPI with the other forms we need, and that should be sufficient. If the vehicle is going to be used by someone who is Able Bodied, the the V112 cannot be used. I am still a little bit confused, but what I have been told by DVSO, I will abide by! Thanks for all the help and Advise. It seems we have the same information. The confusion arises with DVLA, who state"It is registered as a Tricycle, and therefore needs an MOT. They give me an headache! I will check the NIPPI Owners Club every day to see if anyone else has had the same problem - hopefully not. Thanks George.

  4. I mot my nipping every year and my insurance ask for it every year I tried the invalid carafe approach but was then refused insurance I don't think it's worth the hassle